Monday, June 13, 2011

the turning of the page.



It was a sad day. I said goodbye to all of these kiddos. I wish I could follow their lives and watch them grow. I feel blessed to have spent so much time with them. I taught them, they taught me. We laughed... lots. People always told me my first class would be special to me and I didn't know what they meant until now. These kids will forever have a place in my heart. They were my guinea pigs, they taught me all I know about how to be a 1st grade teacher and I love them for it.

On our last day of school I had a speech prepared to give them, I wanted to tell them how special they are and how much they mean to me. BUT... instead I sobbed and all I could tell them was that I love them. Ha! That's the only part they would have understood anyway. I did some crying, some of my kids did some crying, some of their parents did some crying, it was an emotional day!

Driving away from that school was very difficult. I remember so well the day I drove out with my mom and took a picture of me in front of the school right after I got the job. Who knew that school would mean so much to me a year later. I grew so much this past year. I became a teacher in this process and I became a better person. I felt a part of the community and I felt a part of that school. More than anything I will miss the people I was lucky enough to work with. I loved seeing the familiar faces every day and knowing exactly where I belonged. I already miss everything about teaching and being there. It is going to take some adjusting for me to not get up every day knowing where I'm going to be and what I'm going to do. But I am looking forward to the relaxation and the opportunity to spend more time with Taylor and with my family (especially since I'm moving away SO soon).

So I'm turning the page, I'm ending another great phase of my life and moving on. Lots of change and opportunities for growth in my near future. Those who know me well know I don't do well with change. But I'm excited to move forward and to continue to grow and learn. And let's not forget how lucky I am to have Taylor beside me! Not to mention the support system I have around me. Thanks to all of those who have expressed concern and support for me in the last few weeks. I feel so blessed. Here's to closing one door and opening many more. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. It is so sad leaving a class! I know how you feel, especially the part of not knowing what to do with all my time and no kids to worry about. I am always wondering what and how they are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could pick the perfect 1st grade teacher for my grandsons, I would pick you. Those kids and their parents were SOOOO lucky to have you. We are thinking about you and praying for you. Have fun this next month with your family before your next new adventure in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete