Tuesday, January 3, 2012

caucus 2012.

I voted @ the Iowa Caucus! I feel like I took part in history. It was a great experience. I must say I have been fascinated by the entire political campaign process. The caucus is a very grassroots idea... enough said.

Let me tell you how it went: We arrived early to register. I then got a green X marked on my hang to let me in the door. We sat down and waited. Then, the "temporary" chairman spoke, was nominated to be the "official chairman" by the "temporary secretary," and vice versa. It was like Model United Nations all over again. Once that business was taken care of, each candidate had a representative (only 4 candidates were represented at our district caucus) from their campaign who spoke for them. They got 3 minutes to express why we should vote for their candidate. Then, we wrote down a name on a small piece of paper, put it in a cardboard box, and that was IT! So old school, I love it.

I convinced my fellow caucus goers to stay and wait for the votes to be counted. It took all of 10 minutes. There was a group of 6-8 people on the gym floor, each with a pile of paper to sort through. They came up with these numbers: Ron Paul-68 Mitt Romney-66 Rick Santorum-40. That's how my little North Liberty district voted. Now I'm sitting on my couch, wrapped in a blanket, listening to a podcast I found online with coverage. Go Iowa! 

1 comment:

  1. I seriously think it is the coolest thing ever that you voted in the Iowa caucus...and Mitt won! :) Way to be a good citizen sister!

    ReplyDelete