Tuesday, January 17, 2012

my drink saga.


So if you know me at all, you know I love me some Dr. Pepper. It's bad. I'm aware. I think my love for DP started in high school. Brittany and Haley (my best friends) and I would make our daily stops @ Holiday (the gas station right by my high school) pretty regularly. You know, before games and @ lunch. I think I walked in to Student Council most days with a drink in my hand...

My college life changed little regarding this addiction. I found new friends to be a "social drinker" with. Becca and I frequented Wendy's drive through and never failed to order a large DP at our usual lunch spots with our little crew of 4. Then when Anjuli and Chelsea entered my life, visiting Will's Pit Stop was a daily occurrence. You see, this is what we did when we were bored, it was how we bonded. Need to run errands? Great, let's stop for a drink. Need to cry? Great, let's drive, and stop for a drink. On the way home from the gym? Yes please. Study break? Yes please. 

Now I can't leave out my lovely sisters and their extreme contribution to this habit. You see, no matter what we are doing together, there is usually a fountain drink involved. I think Sarah and I have scoped out every gas station in Utah Valley as well as the Henderson, NV area and rated their Dr. Pepper on a scale from 1-10. We have all our favorites (Will's always wins!). We are of the opinion that our "drink" tastes different wherever you are. Some call us crazy (including my brother in law who hated when we would drive 5 minutes out of the way to get a drink we liked better). 

I have always preferred fountain drinks. Those days where I just couldn't get my hands on one, I settled for a can. There is something about stopping at the gas station, walking in with someone special (the above mentioned people) getting the perfect ice/DP ratio, paying for my beloved drink, and chatting with someone special while doing it. Then there's the experience of cruising in the car, blaring your favorite music, and enjoying the company of above mentioned people. Let me just say that my little sister has never liked fountain drinks. When we bond at the gas station, we all get fountain, she buys a bottle. We always thought she was some sort of alien person. However, despite my love for fountain drinks, I have had to adjust to drinking from the can. I hate to say it, but I think I might actually prefer it now. So weird. 

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, first of all, because it was something to blog about :), and secondly, because I might be saying goodbye to Dr. Pepper. DON'T WORRY! I am not getting rid of my drinking habit, I enjoy it too much. BUT, I am attempting to switch over to this baby!
We'll see how it goes. I'll be honest, it is the ONLY diet drink I can stand.  I figure it's time I start drinking diet since this long term subbing thing may increase my intake to 3 a day just to survive. Anyway, there's my drinking saga. Here's to diet drinks!

5 comments:

  1. Come home soon so we can go on a drink run! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all too true! I can never quit my fountain beverage addiction because it is my social thing! And I always justify that it is better than eating cupcakes! And I like it almost as much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. so proud of you for trying to go diet!! just hold it out for 2 weeks and then you wont even notice the difference! love my fountains. holding a Diet DP fountain right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. diet pepsi?! really?? does tay feel betrayed? hahah. i love this post so much. like if i had a scrapbook, this would be in it. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete